Author Topic: Concerning the upcoming Minecraft 1.7 update  (Read 4464 times)

Offline Goatie

• Administrator
  • IT WASN'T ME!! *hides*
    • View Profile
Concerning the upcoming Minecraft 1.7 update
« on: September 07, 2013, 09:20:41 PM »
The future 1.7 update brings new biomes and blocks to Minecraft and this is a bit of a hassle to me concerning the current server world. In the worst scenario we have to start from scratch in a whole new world and lose all our buildings and stuff like we did when the 1.6 update came out.
I hate to do it like this because you all worked so hard and spent so much time to collect resources and build all your awesome buildings. But I think I've found some kind of solution to it.... if it works.

1st option
Completely new world.
We'll have nothing when starting but there will be all the new stuff like the new biomes, flowers and all the other stuff around the spawn area. There are new areas, caves, ravines and abandoned mine shafts to explore that haven't been raided for resources.

2nd option(if it works)
As some of you might remember we had the WorldBorder plugin that limits the world size on the server a few months back. It turns out I might be able to use it to set a border, trim the chunks outside the border, remove the border and new terrain will be generated when explored.
If I use this method we will be able to keep our current world and let new terrain(biomes) be generated outside the spawn area.
The downside about this is I have to set a rather small border so the buildings outside the border will be lost so people don't have to travel so far to experience the new biomes and other stuff from the 1.7 update.

Tell me what you guys think I should do. New world so you will lose all your stuff but get all the great new 1.7 stuff from the start or try and attempt the WorldBorder method and some of you will lose your buildings outside the border.

DISCUSS!

NOTE
Remember that it'll be several weeks after the official 1.7 release that the server will be able to update to 1.7.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 09:25:43 PM by Goatie »
A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
-Albert Einstein

Offline cindy_reddeer

• Stalker of BDH Minecraft Server
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
Re: Concerning the upcoming Minecraft 1.7 update
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 09:34:35 PM »
I don't mind losing my Mushroom home and the work I did on the villages. I'm not sure how far you are planning to to keep because Ghryphon has done a ton of work on his and I know Steph will be devastated if she loses her party tree house. I'm also game for a whole knew world if that is the way it has to be. I really don't mind starting from scratch. lol
I run from the Zombie Horde

Offline VerdeFern

• Hmmmm whats personal text?
    • View Profile
    • You Tube
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 11:07:28 AM »
I like the second option if it's not to hard for MrG to put into place. I also don't mind if we have to start from a whole new world again but i will miss my Box (Mule).
Falling Happens

Offline Fiji Wiji

• View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 05:30:54 PM »
The second option is definitely better.