Author Topic: Our Minecraft host has gone bye bye :(  (Read 5310 times)

Offline Goatie

• Administrator
  • IT WASN'T ME!! *hides*
    • View Profile
Our Minecraft host has gone bye bye :(
« on: November 14, 2013, 12:07:25 PM »
The day before yesterday(November 12th) I got a weird e-mail from our host Shard Gaming(formerly DaddyCheese) about immediate shutdown of their services. If you go to their website it says the exact same thing as the e-mail I received. I'm gonna quote it here to keep a record of it.
Quote from: ShardGaming.com
Due to recent unexpected trading circumstances Shard Hosting Solutions LTD has ceased trading with immediate effect. We urge all clients to take a backup of their data immediately as we cannot guarantee how long services will operate for before being disconnected by our upstream suppliers. If you feel you are a creditor please contact: PHILIP LAWRENCE email:- philip.lawrence[AT]baverstocks.com
The folks over at The Register has written a small article about this weirdness going on. It looks like a lot of Shard Gaming's customers who rented servers located in the US has already lost all their data.

I still have access to our EU based(France) server and control panel, but I don't know for how long. As of 11:10 am CET* I've made the latest backup of everything on our server. When I find us a new host(probably CreeperHost.net) this will be where you'll start off again.
*05:10 am EST / 02:10 am PST

I'm a little glad that this happened at a time like this. The next server payment was to be paid in December, so I still got the money you lovely people have donated towards the server costs. Our data and money is safe for now and is ready to be transferred over to a new host when I've found the right one. The downside is however that when our current server gets shut down I'll have to wait till the start of December with renting a new server. I hope you guys have the patience to wait a week or two before you can play on the server again. Hopefully you have other servers and your singleplayer worlds you can play around with.

That's all for now I guess. I'll keep an eye out for news about Shard Gaming and I'll start researching new hosts and see which ones fits us best.
Cheers :)

[UPDATE: Nov. 19th 11:39 PM CET]
For some funny reason the server is still up and running. The servers control panel is also running but it can't connect to the server correctly so I can no longer use it to restart the server or anything. I just did another backup of all our data on the server so we'll be more or less up to date when we move over to a new host.

I haven't been able to find anything new about the crazy and sudden shutdown of Shard Gaming other than people losing lots of money by paying for a full year of service and only got 1-2 months before the shutdown. In my eyes this is starting to look more like a kind of robbery. They still offered their services right up till the shutdown. I'm a bit sad and pissed at the same time on the behalf of the other customers losing money on this. I'm hoping to find more information on this matter. I'd like to know what goes on in the inner circles of small companies doing this kind of stuff to their customers.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 11:40:13 PM by Goatie »
A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
-Albert Einstein

Offline techiegirl314

• View Profile
Re: Our Minecraft host has gone bye bye :(
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 01:15:51 AM »
Will I still be white-listed even if I havent been on for a while?

Offline Goatie

• Administrator
  • IT WASN'T ME!! *hides*
    • View Profile
Re: Our Minecraft host has gone bye bye :(
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 09:47:35 PM »
yup, I got a backup of everything and you should still be on the whitelist :)
A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
-Albert Einstein